The Closet Moderate: Re-election

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Re-election

There's a plague of neologisms and clichés every election season, and this one is no different. What's sticking in your humble bloggard's grammatical craw this year: the re-elect.

No, it's not because I'm a closet Whig who doesn't believe Presidents should ever be re-elected (true?), nor is it because I don't find this particular President worthy of re-election (true!). It's more basic than that: re-elect is a fucking verb! The noun is re-election. I'm not even picky on how you spell it: reelection, re-election, or even, like those pretentious twats at the New Yorker, reëlection. Whatever. Just get the part of speech right.

You politicos who mangle this fairly simple concept sound like a bunch of morons.

2 comments:

juicepockets said...

It's not just the political types. Over on Entertainment Weekly's website they have short bloggy responses to various TV shows and will title the posts "How I Met Your Mother React," for example. They mean "reaction," so the use of "react" definitely sticks in my craw.

Silent Cal said...

Alas! I had not thought death had undone so many.