The Closet Moderate: Throw clichés under the bus

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Throw clichés under the bus

Back in '08, it seemed like every politics article contain that vulgar formulation "throw [x] under the bus." Lately, "teachable moment" has gotten nearly as common. "Under the bus" had, at least in its infancy, the pleasure of sounding novel and interesting. "Teachable moment" was always a politicians' nonsense phrase, but lately I've even heard normal people say it.

The problem with clichés is that they take the place of original thought. I know not everyone is capable of coming up with original pithy phrases, but they should at least refrain from adding to the mental ossification such phrases cause.

What turn of phrase pisses you off lately, gentle readers?

4 comments:

Mike said...

FWIW, my dad has been a professional educator for his entire career, and he's been using the term "teachable moment" without reservations or caveats since I was a kid. If an often-abused-by-politicians phrase has origins in (and is legitimately useful to) the culture of your actual profession, do you get a free pass?
Also, I've been thrown under two different buses in my life. Alls I'm saying is: felt exactly like that. :)

Michael J. Giarlo said...

It's a bit dated now, but the "main street/wall street" thing always chapped my arse.

Statler said...

I've made my views clear.

Herodotus said...

As a teacher, I hate the phase teachable moment.

When it comes to politics, I despise the term "activist judge." All that really means is that you disagree with that particular judge's views of the Constitution.