The Closet Moderate: More on tax cheats

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

More on tax cheats

Ok, now I am going to talk about the tax problems of Mr. Geithner and Mr. Daschle (pictured at right, looking appropriately contrite). TaxProfBlog has directed me to a New York Times colloquy on the subject. A bunch of folks more famous than I give their opinions, but since we have a blog, we can add our opinions to the list as well. (New Media!)

I don't think anyone who makes a mistake on his taxes should be excluded from all offices of the United States government for the rest of his life. After all, people do make mistakes and the tax code, prolix and convoluted as it is, invites error. What bothers me is that the "mistakes" always seem to involve paying less tax, never more.

What's more unfortunate, from my point of view, is that the nominee I would have voted for if I were a Senator, Geithner, has the tax error that is the most egregious and self-serving. Daschle, for whom I would likely not vote, has made a "mistake" that was less obvious, though still, I suspect, purposeful. What they have in common is that they're both rich enough to afford an accountant to avoid all this difficulty, yet both chose to stiff the American people rather than put forth the effort of talking to a CPA for an hour or so per year.

UPDATE: Daschle is out. Glad to see Obama is reading The Closet Moderate, like all right-thinking people.

No comments: